Aircraft Finishing Systems, Inc
Covering and Painting
AFS Two-Part Polyurethane Rolling Directions
- Use the finest foam roller you can get. These rollers are typically used by boat
builders or fine furniture makers.
- Use a taper cut fine bristle synthetic brush for tipping out air bubbles.
- Apply your paint in a dust free area. Maintain temperatures above 69°F and humidity
above 50%. These conditions must be maintained for 12 hours.
- Never paint in direct sunlight
- Wash new or used rollers and tipping brushes before use in AFS High Strength cleaner in
order to remove any contamination. Rinse with clean water and blow or air dry.
- The surface you are painting must be clean of all oils and dust free.
- Always lightly wipe surface to be painted with a tack-cloth in order to remove
any dust. NEVER apply pressure when using a tack cloth as this will imbed wax into the
surface and ruin your paint job.
- The bristle brush is used just for tipping air bubbles not for moving paint on
the surface use the roller for applying and moving paint.
- Keep your coats of paint as thin as possible thinner is better!!!
- Only mix enough paint so that it can be used in 30 minutes
- Keep your tipping brush clean remove paint from bristle between tipping.
- Stir Two-Part Poly Color Formulation (Part A) for 5 to 10 minutes. Mix 3 parts (A) with
1 part (B), stir together then add ¼ to ½ parts distilled water. Stir mixture together
(never shake or whip). This should produce a paint viscosity of around 35 to 45 seconds
just right for rolling.
- Be sure to lightly wipe the primed surface with a tack cloth just before painting
in order to remove all foreign particles.
- Using a dense or fine foam roller apply a light layer of AFS Two-Part Polyurethane in
one direction only!!! Waiting no more than five minutes from the time of application,
follow in the same direction with a taper cut fine bristle brush lightly
tipping out any bubbles. Do not try to move paint with the brush use the roller for
this and only tip with the brush.
- After the first layer becomes sticky (when touched) roll a second light layer in a
direction 90° from the previous layer. This too is tipped with your bristle brush in the
same direction to remove any bubbles.
- When your second pass becomes sticky roll a medium wet layer in a direction 90°
from the previous layer. Tip with your bristle brush in the same direction to remove any
- This can be repeated as many times a necessary in order to get good color coverage.
Remember though thinner is better!
- Allow AFS Two-Part Polyurethane to dry overnight at 70° before masking and taping for
Click Here to go to their web site.
Back to the Dawn Patrol's home page.
About The Dawn
Patrol Frequently Asked
Questions Get On The Builder's
Chat List Order Dick Starks'
Book Order Our
Video Tapes The Dawn Patrol's
Trailers 2002 Air Show Schedule
Goods FOR SALE Tom Glaeser's Chainsaw Starter Marvin Story's Tubing Notcher Dick Hartzler's Cowlings
Our Rib Bending JIgs Nieuport Engine Mounts Weight and Balance Information Book and Video Order Form Assorted Aviation Links A.F.S. Paint and Covering Various Suppliers List Gary's Cool Tools Smoke System Poster Stands